Thursday, October 23, 2008

Greetings From The D aka Detroit City

Hello My Sister's,

I've started this blog because I believe that something unique to share with all of my sisters in cyberspace who are either wearing their hair naturally or considering the installation of Sisterlocks i.e. “micro-locs”. You see I’ve been chemical free for thirteen, yes 13 years without a perm, although I have that traditionally tightly coiled/kinky hair we black women have come to love and hate. Girlfriends, I can honestly say that I have worn every braid, two strand twist, faux loc, cornrow feed-in, tree braid, sew-in weave and ty-zillion braid style known to woman-kind and I’ve got the pictures to prove it! My continuing hair saga has been almost as humorous as it has been complicated due to my profession. Currently I work in law enforcement; hence I am subjected to its archaic culture which still thrives on male-domination and discrimination. This unique work environment is at times filled with a palpable level of disdain and resentment toward its female members-regardless of how hard they may work, countless number of citizens they help and sacrifices they make while serving in the line of duty. But I digress, this blog won’t be about law enforcement-it will be about a journey to remain dedicated to the glorious dark brown coils placed on my head so many years ago and what, exactly, I should do with them next. As a matter of fact, I am going for my first Sisterlock consultation next week at a fairly notable salon here in the Metro-Detroit area and I am bracing myself for one helluva price tag to lock up 9” or so inches of fairly thick unprocessed hair. Stay tuned ladies-I’ll be sure to let you know what happens at the consultation. Peace, Love and Chicken Grease Yall.

Vixen

No comments: